To celebrate, here are some of things I have learnt over the past two years (in no particular order):
- Aussies are very serious about their coffee, and it’s fantastic. (Even if Melbournites think that Sydney coffee is crap!)
- The chips are disappointing but the fish is great.
- The Aussie ideal of mateship is aspirational and inspirational, even if not always realised.
- Not all of the animals are trying to kill you - including the dragons.
- Your average store chocolate is rubbish but they do have people who know what they’re doing.
- Jacaranda trees are awesome.
- If thongs are banned at a club, the bouncer will stare at your feet, not perform an intimate search. And you can buy thongs in vending machines.
- Aussie rules football is possibly the best spectator sport ever. (Based on one game!)
- Thanks to craft breweries, Aussie beer is not all bad, and some of it is very good.
- Brunch is a serious(ly good) meal of the day.
- Musically, Australia is trapped in the era of hair rock power ballads. And it’s awesome.
- The coins have animals on them
- For long haul, always fly an A380 if you can.
- The Socceroos may struggle but Aussies rule at robot soccer.
- They do a good line in sunsets.
- Australia is a great place to do bioinformatics.
Comment below if you think I’ve forgotten anything important - I’m sure there’s lots!